The UK Speechwriters’ Guild supports the professional development of speechwriters by organising conferences and training. Our purpose is to:
- show the value of good speechwriting to individuals and organisations
- invite the best speechwriters to explain their craft
- share trade information, with hints, tips and examples of fine speechwriting.
We want to shape a thriving international industry.
We welcome new members and those wishing to develop the skills of speechwriting and public speaking for professional purposes.
- See photos from the Autumn Leadership & Communication Conference in conjunction with the European Speechwriter Network
- Spring conference will be 2-4 April 2014 at Trinity College, Oxford
UK Speechwriters’ Guild Business Communicator of the Year 2013
The judges said: “Mr Sutherland‘s good example (which can be viewed on many YouTube clips) illustrates how wasteful it is to try to engage audiences with Excel spreadsheets and complex PowerPoint slides. He spreads optimism with insights like, ‘recession is the mother of invention’ and ‘human understanding is the future of business and Government’. Business leaders like Mr Sutherland, who can inspire audiences to try new things, will ultimately lead the way out of recession.”
Last year’s winner was Gillian Tett, the financial journalist. In 2010 the winner was Geoff Burch, the author and motivational speaker.
Email us to get a copy of the citation explaining why Rory Sutherland won the award.
We’re now looking for nominations for our 2014 competition. If you have heard a particularly outstanding speech in 2013, please contact us.